The community programme at Charlton Athletic Football Club was established in 1992 and became Charlton Athletic Community Trust in 2003.
Affectionately known as CACT, it is famed for its work in its local communities and has scooped numerous prestigious industry awards over recent years.
The community initiative began when the football club returned to The Valley in 1992. It started with just one member of staff, a bag of footballs and a telephone and has now grown into an organisation that employs 100 permanent staff, has a pool of over 100 casual coaches and engages with thousands of people on a weekly basis.
Using the power of football, CACT work in partnership with local communities to empower individuals to improve their lives and their environment.
CACT’s ground breaking and innovative programmes are delivered through a regular presence in schools and working with disadvantaged or socially excluded groups in society, through crime reduction initiatives and community based football coaching sessions.
The types of programmes delivered by CACT fit under seven strands of work:
- Early Help and Prevention
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Football and Sports Development
- Health Improvement
- Social Action and Enterprise
- Youth Services
All of CACT’s staff, both officers delivering and office staff, then work to the following values:
- RESPECT - We will treat all service users, partners, staff and volunteers with respect at all time
- TRUST - We will trust each other to uphold the values of the organisation at all times
- INCLUSIVITY - We will ensure that every aspect of our work is inclusive at all times and ensure that all members of the community are welcome and supported to access our programmes
- EQUALITY - We will endeavour, through our programmes to develop equality of opportunity for all people within the communities we serve
- COMMITMENT - We will show commitment to all of our service users and partners and are committed to providing quality programmes for the communities we serve
- INTEGRITY - We will always act with integrity in every aspect of our work
- EMPOWERMENT - We will empower the communities we serve by providing opportunities for improved and higher levels of education, health, physical activity, inclusion and equality
- PASSION - We will always deliver our programme with passion and we are passionate about creating positive outcomes for and improving the lives of our service users, partners, staff and volunteers. And in doing so improve the communities we serve